1. POLICY PURPOSE Sapphire Management Services UK Ltd. is committed to the promotion of equal opportunities to all existing and prospective employees. To this end, the Company has an equal opportunities policy which is designed to ensure that the recruitment of individuals and all issues relating to their employment encourages equal opportunities and deters discriminatory practices.
2. POLICY ELEMENTS 1. Explanation The Company is committed to the promotion of equal opportunities to existing and prospective employees. It is opposed to any form of behaviour and operating principles that treat individuals less favourably in either a direct or indirect way, on the grounds of race, religious beliefs, disability, political opinions, creed, colour, ethnic origin, nationality, spent convictions, marital / parental status, sex, sexual orientation and age etc.
The Company recognises its responsibilities under the Sex Discrimination Act, Race Relations Act, Disability Discrimination Act and Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, Employment Equality (Sexual Orientation) Regulations, the Employment Equality (Religion or Belief) Regulations, Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006 and the spirit and intent of the related Codes of Practice:
1. a) For the elimination of discrimination on grounds of sex or marital status and the promotion of equality in employment. 2. b) For the elimination of racial discrimination and the promotion of equal opportunity in employment. 3. c) For the elimination of discrimination on the grounds of previous but spent convictions. 4. d) For the promotion of equal employment rights for disabled people and individuals who have had a disability. 5. e) For the elimination of discrimination relating to sexual orientation or religious belief and the promotion of equal opportunity in employment.
2. Employment Practices The Company wholeheartedly supports the principles and practises of equal opportunity and identifies that it is the duty of all employees to accept their own personal responsibility for fostering a fully integrated community at work by maintaining the principles of equal opportunity. The Company promotes equal opportunities throughout the organisation through the application of recruitment and employment practices which will ensure that individuals receive treatment that is fair and equitable and takes into full consideration relevant aptitudes, potential, skills and abilities in order to carry out their responsibilities. In particular, no employee or applicant will be placed at disadvantage by requirements or conditions which are not necessary to the performance of the job or which constitute unfair discrimination.
The Company recognises the problems that sexual and racial harassment may cause at work and is committed to ensuring that such behaviour is deemed as unacceptable and does not take place. Sexual harassment includes (but is not limited to) unwanted physical contact, suggestive remarks or behaviour, compromising invitations, demands for sexual favours and similar unwanted behaviour. Sexual Harassment does not refer to behaviour of a socially acceptable nature. It refers to behaviour which is unsolicited, that is personally offensive and that fails to respect the rights of others. Racial harassment is the same treatment but concerned with derogatory treatment and language on racial grounds. All forms of harassment will not be tolerated by the company. Unacceptable behaviour of this nature will be strictly dealt with under the Disciplinary Procedure.
3. Monitoring And Review Arrangements The Managing Director will be responsible for reviewing the Company’s performance in line with this policy. Monitoring of ethnic origin, sex, employee disability and applicants will take place on a regular basis. The successful implementation of this policy depends upon the regular examination of progress towards equal opportunity.
4. Grievance and Disciplinary Procedures Any employee who feels that he or she has been treated unfairly in connection with their employment should raise their grievance through the appropriate grievance procedure. All incidents will be taken seriously, with every effort made to secure a satisfactory resolution. In addition, the Company will ensure that any employee making a complaint of unfair discrimination will be protected from any victimisation. The Company will continue to treat unfair discriminatory conduct by any member of staff as a disciplinary offence.
5. Training and Advertising The Company will train, develop and promote on the basis of merit and performance ability. The Company will also provide suitable and relevant equal opportunity training as necessary for all staff, including first line managers. When vacancies are advertised both internally and externally, the Company will ensure that such advertising is compatible with the ethos of Equal Opportunities. All advertising and subsequent recruitment campaigns will be carefully considered to ensure hidden discrimination on the grounds of sex, race and disability does not take place.
6. Communication This policy will be communicated to all employees through their individual terms and conditions as well as the policy and procedures manual and will be brought to the attention of new employees upon their induction into the Company. 7. Rehabilitation Of Offenders Individuals with a ‘spent’ conviction under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 will not be discriminated against in accordance with this policy. Signed: - Keith Batchelor Managing Director Issued 20/11/08
Trading Address: Sapphire Management Services UK Ltd, 43 Waterside, Dickens Heath, Solihull, West Midlands, B90 1UE
Registered Address: 1 Franchise Street, Kidderminster, DY11 6RE Company Reg No. 5986558 Registered in England and Wales